September 26, 2011

Waiting to Exhale

Today we had a planning meeting to discuss what we want to see FMO get out of his education at his school, and talk about the concerns of the staff. Based on things that were said during the meeting, I got the impression that the school director and special services coordinator had been intimidated by FMO's mile-thick IEP file, which basically looks like a migraine in printed form. It contains a fairly extensive history of dissatisfaction on our part with services and providers, and a very unfriendly letter (I posted it in an earlier blog entry) stating how we basically denounce the entire current IEP as well as the input of everyone from his last placement. I knew that would raise some red flags about FMO's diagnosis, and our ability to work cooperatively with staff, not to mention putting our sanity under scrutiny.

Everyone complimented us several times during the meeting on the records we keep, the goals we wrote, and our dedication to FMO. The director said she feels they can learn from us, called us trailblazers, and even suggested that we could maybe give talks to other parents, or write a book. I said that I would be happiest to someday quietly retire from my "work".

Most likely after looking at FMO's file, the SELPA rep suggested a 5 day onsite school program might be more appropriate than the 2 day onsite/home study. (I am Jack's fear of legal backlash.) Since she was not able to join us today, this was relayed to us by the special services coordinator. Everyone at the table, including him, dismissed this notion. They expressed the unified sentiment, that FMO is in the setting that seems perfectly suited to him.

Wow! Just...Wow. This is such a change from what felt like monkeys flinging shit at our heads for the six months prior to enrolling in our sweet little new school. I am almost ready to rejoice and revel...

We just have next Monday's IEP meeting to get through, and two more people to include in the team. Miss L, the primary K-1 classroom teacher, will really shock me if she drops any bombs, since she has been very sweet, considerate, accommodating, and inclusive. The wild card is the SELPA rep. I think I might have spoken to her on the phone a few years ago to get some info when we were having issues with the preschool. If she is who I remember, and I remember correctly, she is sharp and by the book. Hopefully, she'll see how cohesive the team already is, and help, not hinder the forward movement that is in progress.

Fingers crossed, breath held.

No comments:

Post a Comment