October 13, 2011

Electric Blue

The SELPA rep was a no-show again at the latest IEP meeting. The special services coordinator opened the IEP meeting by saying that, on the SELPA rep's recommendation, we weren't having an IEP meeting. Then he said that the school cannot offer FAPE.

As much as I had tried not to, I had hung my hopes on that meeting ending the struggle. What he said makes no real sense, but still, the disappointment and sadness came by shock-wave,  like I had stuck my finger in the outlet. I looked across the table at MAO, fingertips pressing holes into his temple, with that all-too-familiar kill look on his face, like he had just pumped the mental .20 gauge.

Since we didn't have an IEP meeting, the sequential steps to determine what FAPE would be, have not occurred yet. To state they can't offer FAPE was premature at best, but it was really a violation of procedure and our rights. The special services coordinator is being advised by the SELPA rep to say and do things that put the school out of compliance. Because the IEP meeting has been cancelled twice, we haven't had one within the required 30 day time frame from when the interim placement began. FMO also did not receive any speech therapy services during the interim 30 days, as were written into his previous IEP. They were required by law to have provided that.

The special services coordinator recommended a full assessment, since there are no recent assessments on file (that we have not denounced in writing.) I suggested a custom functional assessment might be something we could consent to if they needed more information to fulfill their legal obligations. I don't even know why I said that. I just panic and make desperate attempts to be seen as a team-player. MAO said we would only consent to the speech/language assessment by the online therapy provider. He explained to them how FMO only has to qualify in one area, so he doesn't need a psych eval. They did seem aware of that. I'm sure they just have to provide the responsible recommendations to cover the school's proverbial a-s-s.

They seem so on board, way on our side, just in a bit over their heads bureaucratically. We seem to know more about the special ed. laws then all of them put together. No one said FMO can't go to school there. Contrarily, they confirmed he can. They agree with our plan, goals, and strategies, and want to implement them into the IEP.

The director is so enthusiastic, and researched Dr. Camarata and the Late Talkers Foundation, auditory processing clinics and treatments on her own. She even installed a copy of the Cued Speech CD-Rom I loaned her on the school computer and asked the teachers to start learning it. Teacher Miss S. has a grown son who has an auditory disorder and dyslexia, and she seems to really understand so much of what we are saying. MAO said she was constantly nodding her head throughout the meeting, as though she agreed with his every word. As I suspected she would be, teacher Miss L was another positive addition to the IEP team. She asked poignant questions and shared opinions parallel with ours. The special services coordinator explained that he must walk the line to play the role in which he not only advocates for FMO to get what he needs to succeed, but also acts as a "CYA" agent for the school.

Later, after we talked at home, MAO got clarity about what is off. He called to tell the special services coordinator that the interim placement needs to be extended in writing. He told him that the online speech therapy may begin with the assessment, but it must begin right away, and continue after the assessment is completed, whenever that is, and regardless of when the IEP meeting is set for. He checked with the director and confirmed that would happen. We went back to school the next day to sign release consents, and he faxed them to the online therapy provider. I set up the online account with TinyEYE, but have yet to hear back. That is frustrating, but not the school's fault.

Both MAO and I feel the same. The situation is mentally constipating and keeps us from functioning effectively in our lives. We need this resolved. We're not there yet, but progress was made toward that end.

No comments:

Post a Comment