September 1, 2011

P.T.S.D.

After a half day of the new school yesterday I was ready to opt out for 100% home study. Nothing really went wrong... just some parts of the day don't work well, like attending to numerous activities that are based upon waiting and listening. 

Today, after attending the second half of the day and meeting with our EC (educational coordinator), I am in favor of giving it a go, but we are going to try two half days per week.There are things about this classroom and every classroom that don't work well for FMO, such as verbal directives, but the new environment is about as ideal as one exists for him to succeed at a school. The Waldorf style is calm and gentle, and the teachers keep things on the quieter side which works well for his sound sensitivities, which seem heightened in the last few months. There is a lot of acceptance, flexibility, and all staff seem on board to accommodate. The home curriculum is fully customizable, and he can jump ahead in areas he is academically strong, and remediate any where he needs more focus.

I was a mess after yesterday, and had school-related nightmares last night. I was anxious to call it quits this morning, but resolved to stay open to working a solution. After today, I feel the opposite, and realize how scarred I am from all our previous school experiences. The situation has lots of great potential, and, for now, we are continuing forward. FMO followed up a good day at school with a well-deserved chocolate ice cream cone.

No comments:

Post a Comment