After we met with the Asst. Superintendent, CS, to express all our concerns and discuss how her district could better serve FMO, she scheduled an IEP. The IEP went very well, and we got everything we wanted. We are waiting to complete an assessment until after FMO gets settled into class. I am to attend school with him as his sort of one-on-one aide and help him get his needs met until he develops more conversational skills. Last week he attended his first two days back. I thought it went very well, although it is more clear to me than ever why we pulled him outlast Fall. The staff is very caring, but they approach the children from a Behavior Modification model with rules to promote school-readiness. The Carrot. Our approach is Relationship-Based Role Modeling with safety limits and an emphasis on enjoyment. Humanity. We are not attempting to stamp out another cog. There is no running, foot shuffling, or talking in the bathroom. I was unaware that three years old is the cutoff for blowing bubbles in your milk. On day one, they actually gave mini marshmallows to all the children sitting "properly" at circle time. Guess who didn't get one? Actually, the aide gave it to me on the sly to give to him later. I just put it on the desk behind me, and saved the philosophical debate for a more appropriate setting. On day two, the teacher verbally praised each child for sitting quietly still, except you-know-who. FMO didn't want to sit, but I made sure to give him praise for all his accomplishments big and small.
I am not filled with anxiety and fear and doubt like I was less than a year ago. At school, FMO and I are an autonomous unit operating within a larger unit with different guidelines. We answer to a higher authority, ourselves!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hey ebo
ReplyDeletethe blog is great i feel bad that he has to deal with that much stess at his age that is not the why it shoulg be at his age the world should be full of imaginary friends and doing what makes you happy. was glad to hear that you get to attend with him so that he is not subjected to that kind unfair rewards system he will have more then enough time to have that when he starts working right. well i'm rabbling now so talk to you soon dustin and jess
Thanks! And thanks for all your support with both kids. You guys are terrific friends! -E
ReplyDelete