[Speech Therapist],
I enjoyed our talk today. Thanks for your time. [FMO] and I took turns doing the foam puzzles after you left and then he pretend played with the car and truck foam pieces along the kitchen and loft railing. He did not come to table time, and I did not push him today as he was verging on upset at times. He stayed in the loft and had a scenario with the red teddy who walked along the railing and down the stairs and talked to blue teddy before pitching him over the side. I guess he was working a few things out! At snack, as before, he came when I showed him his snack and sat voluntarily until the last bite was in his mouth, then left. He escaped when I was setting up his chair for music time, and was already escalating, so we went to the playground early. He was pretty hysterical by the time the rest of the class had joined us outside and we left early. He was ravenously hungry when we got home, so I will bring him a more substantial snack tomorrow to try to thwart hunger as a reason for early departure.
[MAO] and I were under the impression that we made clear in the IEP meeting that [FMO] would start at 2 days and increase to more within a short time. I understand an IEP must be called to make changes, but I didn’t see this as a change, but a stipulation already made. Maybe we could review the notes tomorrow to clarify. As I said today , we are open to having [FMO] spend more time with you. It is our wish that communication between us be as open as possible, so I want you to let me know if you want me to back off or join you guys for play, interpret for [FMO] to help you understand him, or back off from any talking for him in your interactions. These are directives I would appreciate if you see fit.
I could use your advice on how to best express needs I have to the staff without micromanaging their interactions with [FMO]. I do not wish for staff to tell [FMO] that he is giving “good eye contact,” which [Teacher 1] and [Teacher 2] have both done. I feel there is an insinuation implied, a stigma attached and it reflects an unqualified clinical assumption. It is not an IEP goal for [FMO] to improve on eye contact. He has always held an eye gaze for interesting enough interactions. You know the staff better than I, so your input is appreciated on how to best relay such things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment