April 1, 2011

theRAPEutic

Some people think we don't know they think we are nuts, so I just go ahead and say it for them. "Look, I know I sound totally nuts, here, but..." I refuse to allow the Autism label for FMO or the Autistic-like eligibility category because he will receive the wrong therapies. The wrong therapies are detrimental. That's it.

There are good therapies we have been using at home which have been effective. Why even bother with professionals then? I have been asking myself that question for years. Most therapies intended for use with autistic children or those on the spectrum are behavior modification based. The aim is to stop undesirable behaviors and indoctrinate social norms. The therapies are intended to kill the differences. Throw the baby out with the bathwater.

It doesn't take higher education to arrive at this understanding. This is not concealed. Google knows this.

Here is the message between the lines: If you're different, people feel uncomfortable, because what they don't understand is scary, and feels threatening. Therefore, discomfort is bad. Therefore, different is bad. People don't want to feel threatened, and that is your responsibility. Change or you're bad.

Hell, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment