February 19, 2010

Ketchup!

"The Latest" is more like the long story short at this point. It has been a hectic many months.

IEP 12/1/09 - Dr. C teleconferenced in. IEPs usually last an hour. This one went over three. MAO and I were pissed and prepared for Battle Royale. MAO let them all have it - all the ridiculous suggestions, unfounded recommendations, unqualified assumptions and the violation of rights. When we left, the teacher didn't say goodbye, the administrators were thanking us, and I got recruited to be the CAC (Community Advisory Committee) rep. for my town. The SELPA rep. suggested we meet privately with the Asst. Superintendent to discuss further our feelings that FMO is not receiving his FAPE (Free and Appropriate Education) based on the interference from the staff.

Dec.-Jan. - We took a breather from school to regroup and refocus our goals and objectives, and decide if we needed to shop for a new school. MAO and I finally concluded that the current school has been very beneficial for FMO, despite all the problems. We also realized taking on a new school would most likely just mean taking on a new set of headaches with a new set of people and a new adjustment period for FMO.

Jan. - We were back to class on a Thursday. The Special Ed. teacher's jaw hit the floor when she saw us walk in. She was operating under some misunderstood directive from the Asst. Superintendent and had the special needs children separated from the state enrolled kids (i.e., typically developing.) They were receiving different curriculum. This is in violation of IDEA standards with regards to a "least restrictive environment."

AND - She confronted me on the playground, demanding to know what notes I was taking on my pocket notebook in her classroom. It could have been my grocery list for all she knew! I told her, "None of your business." She disagreed. She told me she needs to know and has authority over "her classroom." I disagreed. I told her, "It is my classroom since I am a taxpayer and a parent, and you have authority over the children [not me]."

That afternoon - I called the Asst. Superintendent and both problems weren't problems by Monday or ever since.

IEP addendum 2/5/10 - We amended IEP goals to reflect current objectives and our approach and Dr. and Mrs. C's recommendations for what FMO time should be spent focusing on and removed old goals that were not in line. We removed the PECS system from his program much to the SLP's disappointment.

We are all three happy campers again. FMO is doing great in school. He is happy to go, happy to stay and play. He is participating in most of the activities. He is still often shy or uncomfortable at circle time, but mostly stays and joins in some with direction. We only left early once when he was sick. MAO and I finally feel he is receiving his FAPE and the services that best serve him.

No comments:

Post a Comment