October 1, 2020

A Cold Snap Last December

 Hello [EBO],

I am sending you a quick note to thank you very much for completing our survey. I wanted to gather more information to ensure we’re fully supporting your son:

 *   Sound and Speed – Are you unable to hear the SLP and/or OT clearly or do they seem to have a hard time hearing your son? Our Tech Team can help to see if anything can be done to stablize your internet connection. The Tech Team can be reached in the following ways:

 *   Calling the head office at 1-8##-###-#### ext. 1

 *   The Tech Support widget that appears in your T_______ Office

*   Outdated Games – The Developers are currently working on designing and building a brand new platform (including new games)! Is your son not responding positively to that games the therapists are choosing or seems bored? Or is the issue with the graphics and the overall appearance?

Are there other areas of therapy that you dissatisfied? Please reach out to me anytime if you would like to discuss your services.  I am here to help!

Thanks again for taking the time to participate in our improvement survey.

Take care,

[HH]

Service Coordinator

T_______ Therapy Services


And my ah, informative reply...

Hi [HH],

To be clear, we do online therapy from home, not at [charter school]. My son has 2 therapists, 1 SLP, 1 OT, both of whom we are pleased with.

  *   Sound and Speed – Are you unable to hear the SLP and/or OT clearly or do they seem to have a hard time hearing your son?
There is ALWAYS a time lag. [KH] reduces the clarity of our videos so we can cut lags and speed up the time delays. She should not have to do that. If that needs to be done, the bandwidth required to run all the platform components is too high. The platform needs to be reconfigured to run more efficiently. I am not a coder so I cannot speak to *how*, but I have friends and family that are programmers and engineers that design and write code for far more complex programs and apps.  It can be done. So, it is frustrating that either the company doesn't foot the bill to get quality coders to make it to run faster, or don't consider it an issue.  
Our Tech Team can help to see if anything can be done to stabilize your internet connection. The Tech Team can be reached in the following ways:
     *   Calling the head office at 1-8##-###-#### ext. 1
     *   The Tech Support widget that appears in your T_______Office
Yeeeeah, not my job. I home school my very learning challenged son full time (and my typical daughter part time). Besides school and chores and karate, every week, [FMO] sees 2 SLPs, 2 OTs, does iLs, has music therapy, equine tx, behavioral tx, and ASL lessons. He also has PT and educational coordinator meetings once a month. He has both neurology and dietitian appointments every three months, blood draws every six months, IEP meetings twice per school year, and IPP regional center meetings once a year. In addition to that fun schedule, he suffers from Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, and, despite being seizure-free the past 9 months, he had clusters of seizures regularly and often for the past 4 years prior to starting his current (miracle) medication. He was on multiple meds, multiple time per day, including CBD, which we had to drive three hours each way to get, and it has to be kept chilled whenever we are out during the day or when we travel. Plus, he takes several supplements for his very restrictive medically supervised ketogenic diet, which requires specific ratios of macro-nutrients, meaning I have to literally weigh every gram he eats, and he eats four times a day. He has to take some meds with meals and take calcium at separate times from other meds because it binds. So basically, he is either doing work or therapy or eating or taking meds or some combination of all of the above from sun-up to sun-down. Not to mention, all the various trips we have had to take over the years to Oakland Children's Hospital, University of the Pacific, Marin General, Stanford Medical Center, and UCSF Benioff Childrens Hospital, for multiple hearing tests, CAPD testing, sedated ABR, EEG, VEEG, MRI, and of course, occasional rough nights in the local ER. My internet connection is just fine. I pay for faster speed from xfinity. We stream HD, Skype to other countries, and download pirated movies in seconds flat, j/s. Also, why would there be a huge lag with [HA] and lesser lag with [KH] if it were on my end? So, you can see, I have neither have time nor feel responsible or inclined to call tech support. Sorry not sorry.
  
  *   Outdated Games – The Developers are currently working on designing and building a brand new platform (including new games)! Is your son not responding positively to that games the therapists are choosing or seems bored? Or is the issue with the graphics and the overall appearance?

I am really NOT upset, I am just being straight because you are asking. The games are glitchy. The platform lacks tools. There is a lot more that can be done with that type of platform. Check out P________________, not without it's own issues, but faster, with better tools. (My son had OT with them for a few years.) I am glad to hear about the new platform, but I was underwhelmed by a launch estimate for NEXT January. That'll be fine if it is better than it is currently since my son will likely still be served by T______ next year. We have been with T_______ NINE years and it will have been a literal decade before you guys implemented an update. [FMO] will be 15. No offense, but the graphics were lame and outdated when he started at age 6. Have you seen CGI? That is the era we live in. I do not need to be able to see Jon Snow riding a dragon into battle with the Night King with life-like detail in order for my kid to tackle prepositions. However, for someone like [FMO], who has trouble with identifying gender, among myriad other issues, it'd be nice if *I* could at least tell if a cartoon is male or female. (Yes, I realize the irony of trying to teach this in a time when social politics is inventing pronouns, calling for acceptance of gender-fluidity, and demanding restroom non-specificity.If my son was getting everything he needed from T______, I would not have taken him to another SLP locally to supplement thee most critical therapy needed for someone aged 14 with severe CAPD and language skills of a 5 year old (assessed this week by his local SLP for insurance re-auth). [KH] has been amazing and done everything she can with the tools avail through T______.
This is from ASHA and describes some of the issues people with CAPD have:
  • Auditory discrimination
  • Temporal processing
    • Auditory pattern recognition
    • Temporal aspects of audition, including
      • temporal integration;
      • temporal resolution (e.g., temporal gap detection);
      • temporal ordering; and
      • temporal masking.
  • Binaural processing
    • Sound localization and lateralization
    • Auditory performance with competing or degraded acoustic signals (including dichotic listening; ASHA, 2005)
I hope you can "hear" why lags and sound blips and glitches can be anywhere from frustrating to beyond ridiculous when claiming to treatthose exact issues that already occur inside his brain. [HA] has brought a lot of new and valuable input since she started with [FMO], but we can barely communicate with her during sessions the lag is so long. I have already expressed some (much more polite) version of these opinions when approached in the past. Like I said, I ain't mad atcha. You asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment