It barely seems like moments ago, it was the last day of first grade, and we had nothing left to do but wait in anticipation of Baby OLO's arrival. Here it is the first week of second grade for FMO, and OLO is nearly three months old. I can't say it was a terribly productive Summer, but it has been a wonderful time getting to know OLO and seeing FMO adjust to big brotherhood. FMO did wear a wetsuit and swim in the ocean with MAO for the first time! It was an amazing accomplishment, and we were both so proud. The time has certainly flown by.
OLO is sweet and social, living up to her namesake (which means light), so far. She is a pretty darn easy baby. Even the few times she has shown signs of teething haven't been too trying. FMO had to get used to her crying, which, understandably, irritates his ears. There has been pretty minor regression and acting out on his part since he has had to split attention with a sibling. Being the baby of my family, I don't know firsthand how it is for other kids. His reactions seem quite typical, if mild, at least compared to siblings I have seen that are fewer years apart in age.
This week brought a welcome change, leaving OLO at home with MAO two days a week and taking FMO to school. He does seem pretty happy to have six solid hours of one hundred percent of my attention, at least sometimes.
This school year, I decided to save myself a whole lot of effort and headaches. Rather than take one of the pre-packaged curriculum available and have to modify it to the hilt, and still not love it, I created a complete custom curriculum for the entire year from scratch. It took me almost three days and it was a lot of work. I have a deeper appreciation now for what teachers do to prepare.
Today was our first attempt at homestudy. Both my progenies cooperated beautifully! FMO happily completed all the tasks I set for him, and OLO napped nearly the entire time. I am already very pleased with how well FMO is taking to the new curriculum, and all his custom-designed lessons. The highlight of the day was his Math/Science lesson. We canned four jars of pickles with garden cucumbers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment